Bearing Fruit in Every Good Work (Part 2)
- Date: Sunday, January 13, 2019
- Speaker: Chris Greer
- Series: Vision of a Healthy Church
- Category: Sermons
- Scripture: Colossians 1:9–1:14, Ephesians 1:9–1:10, Colossians 1:25–2:3
- Tags: heart, love, wisdom, gift, God, Jesus, Christ, Holy Spirit, Spirit, spiritual, given, Encouraged, experience, knit, mystery, illumine, understanding, knowledge, insight
Christ is the embodiment of who God is, and He is the fulfillment of the entire Old Testament. In Christ we have the wisdom of God!
'Knowledge of his will' primarily refers to what God has done in Christ (mystery revealed), also everything in God’s word! The Holy Spirit gives understanding into his word so we see the glory and application of it (Ps 40:8).
'Spiritual understanding' is God-given, not just by our natural abilities. God must illumine us initially and all our lives as we continually experience it ongoing way, taking us deeper. 'Understanding' is God's perspective on life becoming your perspective.
This 'knowledge and understanding' is not the goal, but is meant to lead to our actions-that we would walk in the manner worthy of the Lord, pleasing Him in all respects, bearing fruit!
A life pleasing to the Lord does 4 things:
1. Bears fruit in every good work. We are to be active people doing good works, seeking results from those good works. Fruit is a result. What is a good work-meets needs which affords opportunity for God to be glorified. This should be our desire as we serve the saints and unbelievers in doing good.
2, 3, 4... to be continued